23 August 2012

GREEK CRICKET TERMS

Composing my Eulogy to the great John Forte, I come across in his book these terms.

I cannot wait to be sipping my tsintsibirra next to some fragrant native (OK, half native because i have my sights on yon Lia Manesis. Improving on that, sa maman but I'll say no more. I'm told that this blog is scrutinised more closely oop t'Kassiopi-sur-Mer than ironed editions of the Thunderer back when it were t'Thoonderer, like.

Anyway, my point is how cool can a chap get than to have a dictionary of Grik cricketing terms under his belt for bellowing out over cucumber sarnies on the Esplanade? Surely, no maidenly off-spring of Ἀλκίνοος could resist?

I shall also be looking for doubles-entendres galore and σκουντώ-wink 'solutions'. , his dark-eyed companion at strategic moments. Ξέρετε τι εννοώ, άρχων;

[Is άρχων really 'squire'? Honestly, I learn more from this blog than two years' fifth-form Greek with Mr Bailey:

"Holmes! Translate from 'The Hoplites ... ' onwards."

"Right, sir ... erm ... The Hoplites ... having shielded themselves from the, um, heavy bronze maidens ... rested on their shoulders and ... something something new grip - no, I know, 'The Hoplites, having shouldered the heavy bronze maidens on their shields, resisted the attack on their flanks with a new grip-"

"NO BOY! And it would hardly have been maidens in those days. Farnsworth - tell us what the poet was trying to say."



No Grik for 'leg-break'. Bummer

No comments :