13 September 2006

good tip ref ammonia from A

Rats

Anyone know a good way of keeping rats away by *smell*?

Poison is not good because they die on the lawn and the dawg gnaws it and then *he* dies.

We don't do cats no more: they're the surefire anti-rodent stuff but they get loony and tear the place apart, or they get killed by the dawgs.

Mama is full of old wives' remedies: tar, mint oil, carbolic acid (what?) but so far no silver bullet and I'm not allowed to tote the Webley at meals which is when I see them scurrying over the trellis.

Cake of olive oil soap for the solution.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

This only works in a small area but it does work well.

Take a can with a lid (or bottle with a tight neck). Punch a hole in the lid, insert a wicking cloth (like a torn towel or old wash cloth. Fill the can with ammonia and put the lid on. The "wick" make ammonia last longer and be safer.

The ammonia is a fair facsimile for concentrated cat urine which the rats take to mean there is a serious cat presence which they will avoid.

I used this to good effect under my car to keep the rats from nibbling on soft engine components.

Anonymous said...

http://www.metrokc.gov/HEALTH/env_hlth/Rats.htm

Good Luck.

Corfucius said...

See why this blog rules?
On t'surface, it's yer Clark Kent dithery wimpo twitterings, but when the call goes out for no-nonsense info', the experts are there.

Corfucius said...

LOL. I printed and pinned it to the noticeboard and everyone loves the phrase.
Lulu scribbling it down: "I *know* I don't have rats - I just want a 'serious cat presence' ".
And they all tell me I *must* now buy that cake of olive oil soap and despatch it to Ashers.